As usual I had to make a dessert at last minute, for an impromptu lunch, or should I say, lunches. One was with family and one with friends the following day. The problem was I had piled a whole to do list for the weekend, that I had no free time to stand in the kitchen. Luckily during the week I had practiced a recipe which I found intriguing- a chocolate tart shell that Audra had made on Masterchef Australia. So I had the tart shells done and dusted, but what to put in them? I was so not in the mood for mousse nor did I have the ingredients to make it. Looking through my grocery cupboard I came across a few things I keep for emergency dishes with pop up visitors.
It took me all of 40 minutes to construct this dessert and be ready to go.
You can either make the tart base and freeze it in an airtight container till needed, or buy ready tart bases. Just thaw out your bases in a preheated oven and allow to crisp up again, if you have stored them away.
Chocolate Deluxe Pudding Tarts:
Rec cred: Ruhana Ebrahim
Pic cred: @mama_taught_me_well
60g cocoa powder,
100g icing sugar,
200g butter (cubed),
1 egg yolk,
Ice water (+/- 40ml).
- Preheat oven to 180 degrees C.
- Sift the flour, salt, sugar and cocoa.
- Place in the food processor and process for 30 seconds.
- Add butter and pulse till resembles crumbs.
- With motor running, add egg yolk and iced water, just enough for dough to come together. Break into 4 equal pieces.
- Lightly flour a surface and roll the dough pieces into flat disc shapes.
- Cling wrap the doughs and refrigerate until just firm.
- Roll pastry between 2 sheets of wax wrap till 2mm thick.
- Spray and cook tart shells and line with pastry dough.
- Trim the edges to fit the tin and refrigerate again until firm.
- Line the tart base with baking paper and baking beans/rice. Blind bake for 15 minutes until firm around the edge.
- Remove beans and paper and bake for another 5-10 minutes until pastry is set.
- Remove from oven and set aside till cooled and firm.
- Then store till needed in an airtight container.
Simply Delish Zero- add to 1 box 450ml milk and ¼ tsp cinnamon powder. Beat with electric beater for 2 minutes.
Refrigerate to set and until needed.
500g Golden Cloud Chocolate Muffin Mix.
Beat with 1 cup water,
175ml veg. oil,
2 extra large eggs.
When well incorporated, spoon batter into greased (Spray ‘n Cook) tart shells. Fill only 1/3 full.
Bake in preheated oven at 180 degrees C for 8 minutes. (Poke with a sharp knife to see if cooked through before removing from oven and tart shell).
When baked, tip the cake out and leave aside to cool.
Strawberries, washed and sliced in angle so you may fan them out.
Lindt dark chocolate- melted and placed in a chocolate mould to make sticks.(may use whatever chocolate on hand that melts well.)
Fill 1/3 shell with pudding.
Place cake upside down, so that the flat bottom is facing up.
Spoon onto it more pudding, forming a neat circle.
Place on fanned strawberry and chocolate stick. Serve chilled.